Asteria Group offers packaging trends for 2024
The packaging and labelling industry is undergoing a remarkable transformative journey, driven by new customer demands, environmental impact, and advancements in innovation and technology. Asteria’s CEO, Ives Declerck, exclusively shares his insights on the leading topics in the industry. This question and answers covers a range of trends and perspectives that will play a major role in packaging and labelling in 2024 and beyond. There’s plenty of inspiration for your business. Discover the labels and packaging trends.
Ives Declerck, CEO Asteria Group – Labels and more.
1- What are some key packaging and labelling trends expected to dominate in 2024?
First, we can expect sustainable packaging to continue its prominence with a focus on recyclability and eco-friendly materials. Brands who understand that this is crucial for their growth will increase the use of recycled and eco-friendly materials to minimise their environmental impact..
As a result, we will see more efforts and support for the idea of reusing resources which is directly connected to reusable packaging models. Companies that contribute to a more circular economy, not only promote sustainable practices but also appeal to a growing base of environmentally conscious consumers.
We anticipate a growing emphasis on transparent and honest labelling. The challenge in 2024 lies in empowering your clients with comprehensive information about sourcing, production practices, and social responsibilities while maintaining your brand’s appeal. We also expect a rise in the adoption of multilayer labels and booklet labels to meet the rising demand for enhanced customer information such as multilingual usage guidelines, culinary instructions, safety precautions, exclusive discounts, and exciting competitions. The Booklet Label offers a compact solution for presenting extensive information within a confined space.
Multilayer labels maintain your brand visuals while providing extensive information
2 – Could you detail specific design trends that will influence packaging in 2024?
- Eco-friendly materials: sustainable packaging options will combine eco-friendliness with creative designs.
- Organic earthy charm: natural looks with textures and recycled materials will convey a rustic feel.
- Simplified packaging design: minimalist options reduce waste and resonate with consumers seeking simplicity.
- Bold typography: high-contrast, stand-out typography will be a significant trend used to communicate product messages effectively.
- Stylish minimalism: clean and airy designs with generous negative space will communicate sophistication.
- Multi-face wrap-around design elements: designs will span across multiple faces of packaging, encouraging interaction while offering extensive details packed in a seamless experience.
- Sustainable minimalism: simple and clean designs with a focus on sustainability, using eco-friendly materials and natural colors.
- The use of fewer but more innovative materials & coatings to enable circularity
- Interactivity: the integration of technology, including QR codes, NFC and RFID tags into packaging for digital experience transparent traceability, complete product information, or unique consumer experience.
- Personalisation: labels designed to adapt to consumer preferences, either through personalised visual elements or product-specific information.
- Transparency: information about product origin, sustainable practices, or manufacturing details to build consumer trust.
- Retro and vintage styles: a return to more classic and nostalgic design styles, which can evoke a sense of authenticity and emotional connection to the brand.
In summary, clean lines, minimal graphics, and environmentally conscious design and materials will continue to shape packaging aesthetics. These trends are a reflection of the growing importance of sustainability, interactivity, and emotional connection. The need for identification, product information, and marketing will remain relevant.
Biodegradable products decompose into natural elements without leaving harmful residues behind.
3 – What is your vision on adhesive labels in 2024?
- Advances in more sustainable technologies, such as curing using UV LED technology.
- Innovations in smart printing to facilitate traceability and consumer interactivity.
- Improvements in production efficiency and more customised applications.
- Development of automated processes and supply chain optimisation contributes to more efficient and sustainable manufacturing.
- More personalised applications could include NFC-enabled stickers to provide consumers with detailed information about a specific product, such as its origin, date of manufacture or personalised instructions.
4 – How will these trends align with consumer preferences for transparency and authenticity?
Transparent labelling will gain importance as consumers seek authenticity, driving brands to use packaging as a tool to convey honesty and credibility. The recent EU Parliament proposal aimed at preventing greenwashing practices will significantly impact labelling and packaging standards. Consequently, companies will be required to adapt and create innovative solutions to provide accurate information while keeping their visuals compelling enough. Multilayer labels and booklet labels are a growing trend, the perfect solution to present comprehensive details without sacrificing the brand identity and designs.
[Read more: Goodbye greenwashing! Are you prepared?]
5 – Will these packaging trends affect branding and market competitiveness?
Absolutely. These trends allow brands to stand out in the market by offering unique experiences, communicating brand values, and enhancing product appeal. Bold designs, eco-friendly materials, and the right choice of embellishments contribute to a brand’s competitiveness.
We see a new interest in developing an exclusive blend of unique embellishments to create a long-lasting impact and high-end values to convey your brand narrative to your customers. This means a strategic decision to use textures, embossing, and foils to add a tactile narrative, conveying luxury or specific product qualities.
Navigating through all the changes and consumer expectations should not be a burden to your team in 2024.
Asteria experts guide your business every step of the way with the best of our local experience and international know-how. We are ready to develop customised and sustainable solutions to allow you to quickly adjust for 2024 trends and stand out in the market. Our strategic sales teams can estimate your CO2 footprint and leverage insights for your brand to leverage sustainable alternatives.
If you are ready for your next move, contact us!
We can help you leverage the advances in sustainability, printing technology and materials.